Wednesday, March 04, 2009

When 20 bucks gets you $699 of office furniture


What is my point? There are so many opportunities out there it is unbelievable. All you need to do is use your head. Ok, gotta go, time to buy myself a nice two bedroom condo down here in Florida for 30G.


U.S. office furniture orders and shipments fell about 25 percent in January, reflecting the biggest year-over-year percentage declines since the 2001-02 recession, a trade group said.

The Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association said January orders fell 25 percent to $565 million and shipments fell 26 percent to $630 million.

BIFMA also lowered its 2009 forecast for orders to a decline of 26.5 percent, compared with its prior estimate of a drop of 11.6 percent.

This does not bode well for retail sales and the economy. But,

Last month I decided I needed a new office chair. So, I went up to the auction house to see what was available. I was looking around and I saw three nice chairs that interested me. I found the woman that runs the auction and asked her if I could buy a chair prior to the auction, she responded "sure make me an offer".

I won't go into all the machination of my decision. I decided on the chair and walked up to her and offered her 10 bucks. She laughed and said, 50 bucks. I looked at her and said, you know I can buy that thing at the auction for 20 bucks. She asked me how I figured that? I told her, "bunkhouse logic". She took my nice new crisp 20 dollar bill. I put the chair in my car and went home.

Once home, I turned the chair over, got all the manufacture information and looked it up on the Internet. Brand new price? $699.

I have been using the chair for a month and it is fantastic.

What is my point? There are so many opportunities out there it is unbelievable. All you need to do is use your head. Ok, gotta go, time to buy myself a nice two bedroom condo down here in Florida for 30G.
Subscribe to All American Investor via Email

Bob DeMarco is a citizen journalist, blogger, and Caregiver. In addition to being an experienced writer he taught at the University of Georgia , was an Asociate Director and Limited Partner at Bear Stearns, was CEO of IP Group, and is a mentor. Bob currently resides in Delray Beach, FL where he cares for his mother, Dorothy, who suffers from Alzheimer's disease. Bob has written more than 500 articles with more than 11,000 links to his work on the Internet. His content has been syndicated on Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, Fox News, Pluck, BlogCritics, and a growing list of newspaper websites (15). Bob is actively seeking syndication and writing assignments.



No comments:

Post a Comment